First, I’m white.
And Babywearing International of the Triangle’s membership is heavily dominated with white women. As is babywearing in America. You probably already know that.
This post is a list of links to videos, blogs, Facebook pages from black babywearing educators and representatives. And a list of black owned babywearing businesses and weavers.
Because Representation matters! Because it’s important to acknowledge the need for more multicultural voices and spaces in the babywearing community and in our own group, BWI-Triangle. In honor of Black History Month, I’m updating our website and our Facebook group to do better at including these voices and representing a more diverse community. Because black caregivers do babywear.
So here’s a list of amazing resources that probably don’t hit the top of your Google search- but should because they’re freaking awesome! May you use them, may you share them, may you feel inspired by them.
Do you have a favorite video from a black babywearing educator, carrier from a black owned business, or your own pictures you’d like for us to include on our site? Email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
- The Babywearing Dad Website Facebook Page Instagram
- Babywearing while Black Facebook Page
- The Black Mermaid Facebook Page Instagram
- Britt Brown Marsh Blog Website Facebook Page Instagram YouTube
- Danny the Babywearing Dad Facebook Page YouTube
- Enn Ti Mami DownUnder Facebook Page YouTube
- Manhattan Mombie Website Facebook Page Instagram Twitter YouTube
- Mod Granola Mom Website Facebook Page Instagram
- Natural Minded Mama Facebook Page YouTube
- Ndibambe Website Facebook Page Instagram
- Nerdy Black Mom Website Facebook Page Instagram Twitter
- Slings and Smiles Facebook Page Instagram YouTube
- Tandem Trouble Website Facebook Page Instagram Twitter YouTube
- Wraps, Slings And Harmony Facebook Page Instagram YouTube
Communities and Groups
- A.B.E. Babywearing (All Black Everything) Facebook Group
- The Awkward Playdate Facebook Page
- Babywearers of Diversity Facebook Group
- Black Women Do Babywear Facebook Group
- BreastfeedinginColor Facebook Page
Businesses and Non-Profits
- Carry On Newark Facebook Page Instagram
- Counter Culture Babywearing Facebook Group
- DBG Baby Website Facebook Page Instagram Twitter Pinterest
- Helina Baby Website Facebook Page Instagram Twitter YouTube
- Lotus Blossom Handwovens & Fiber Arts Facebook Page
- Toto Wraps Website Facebook Page
- World on My Shoulders Website Facebook Page
- Wrapsody: The Wraparound Baby Carrier Website Facebook Page
- Attached Mommies
- Britt Brown Marsh Blog
- Chocolate Crunchies
- Danny the Babywearing Dad
- Denim Bei Dai
- Enn Ti Mami DownUnder
- Helina Baby
- Manhattan Mombie
- Natural Minded Mama
- Pieces of JoJo
- Slings and Smiles
- Tandem Trouble
- Wraps, Slings And Harmony
This list is also available in a Google Doc!
This video by Perla “Judy” Robertson, on her YouTube channel Denim Bei Dai, gives basic newborn positioning information and shows how to do both legs in and out with a ring sling, a meh dai and a woven wrap.